How To Camp (Without Electricity) or primitive camping.

    On the last blog I talked about CAMPING and what to take, for beginners, to enjoy the outdoors. I talked about the private campsites, along with national forest campsites and them having, certain comforts. Now I would like to talk about primitive camping. 

  I myself love to go camping way out in the woods. Getting away from all the fast pace and loud noise in the city. Just the appeal of spending time in nature, there are plenty of options on how one can do so. Camping, hiking and backpacking are some. Are you one of those campers  that like to go outdoors to take a break from their daily routines and modern civilization and to beat stress.

   Traditional (or primitive) camping or camping without electricity, is a great way to get off the grid or unplug from that crazy life. I find that it helps me connect with myself and nature more, giving me a more fulfilling experience. Where I can relax and feel more independence. 

  

  Here are some essential tips on how to camp without electricity:

Plan your trip carefully;

Planning to go primitive camping is different from planning to visit a modern campground, that's why you have to take time to plan everything carefully. Without electricity and amenities, it's essential to make sure you have the necessary equipment and gear for cooking, eating, sleeping, traveling and for hygiene.

You will need to pick a location you would like to camp in. I loved camping up by lake Tahoe. When looking at the map, I would make sure it was safe and legal to camp in that area. I would do this with the help of a park ranger. I would then find out   

 what the weather will be. Do wild animals frequent the area? Where is the nearest establishment in case of an emergency, like a ranger station.Being out in the woods is an amazing experience, but it also comes with dangers. It's important that you come prepared.

Plan your meals ahead

Without electricity, storing food, especially perishables, can be quite a challenge. Plan your meals for the duration of your trip. I like to bring can goods, dehydrated food like (potatoes, rice, and beverage packs) tea bags are good to. Depending for how long I'm going to be dictates how many eggs to bring. Be sure that you pack sufficient snacks that will help keep your energy up, especially if you'll be hiking or backpacking. I like to find a campsite that is near a stream or lake. This way I have a water supply and I can catch fish for my meals. 

Prepare yourself

Primitive camping is not easy, but the experience is very well worth the small challenges. With no running water and other modern amenities, One of the biggest challenges that first-timers face is hygiene - bathing and having to go to a bathroom, without a bathroom. Making your own bathroom area is not hard to do. If it is your first time I suggest you do some research on how you make a latrine and how to  clean yourself and take a dump in the woods the right way. There are only a few things you need to bring. Pack some water-soluble wipes or tissue and hand sanitizer for quick cleaning whenever you need it. The first time is a little scary, but hey the pioneers did it.

Remember most of the places you go that are primitive sites, are accessible only by backpacking in. So when your planning your trip, make sure everything your taking will fit in a backpack. Also go with someone, don't go alone.


Items you can take, can be found on the pages at this site or by going to 

https://outdoorstorexl.com



For more information on camping. These articles I found to be Informative.


Comments