The Joy of Rock Climbing.

  Rock climbing has really taken off since I first tried it. I mean who remembers when you were a child, and going outside and wanting to climb up on tall structures. Those climbing bars on the play ground. If you were lucky, there would have been some big trees or rock formations to climb up on where you lived. The thought of conquering that obstacle.

 My first time climbing a rock face, using the rope and harness was in the Scouts. I admit it was a bit scary at first. But I think I was more excited to climb than scared. It was a rush when it was over. The feeling of accomplishment and knowing that I could do it, built up my self-esteem.

 When I was in the military, I did more rock climbing and a lot of rappelling. That thrill and the adrenaline rush that flooded the body is something I will never forget. Knowing that I could accomplish and do what ever came my way, helped me in all life decision I made easy and they were not impossible. I think the most satisfying of all, was when a friend I served with asked me to help him teach his son’s scout unit. Watching and teaching those scouts how to safely climb up the side of the rock face and getting up to the top, then showing them how to rappel down. Seeing their excitement on their faces, reminded me of my first time. 

  Today I see a lot of people going in to the outdoors and climbing those mountains and rock faces. Then there are those indoor places to go climbing. Which is a safe and fun way to learn for beginners. The last time I visited one I had to laugh. It seemed that the kids were having more fun and climbing up those walls faster then their parents. Not to mention, who would not want to be a kid again. Have you seen the play grounds and parks now. All those climbing walls and rope swings to slide down. I admit I’m jealous they have it good.

  When it comes right to it, safety is the most important thing to rock climbing. Having the proper equipment, like a helmet, footwear, rigging, harness and they all fit properly. I feel you should always have someone with you. Don’t go alone, in case something happens, there will be someone to help. If you do go alone, let someone know. Tell them were you are going to be, and have a check in window when you will call them. This way you don’t get caught in a bad situation. Also check in with the local ranger station on the best sites and if the site you will be going to is open and able to climb.

   I hope this article was fun and interesting. I will write more on Rock Climbing later. I will gather up helpful ideas and places to go. Thank you for taking the time and reading this article. Have a wonderful day.

Comments